Microwave Kalakand (Indian Milk Fudge)


I love Indian desserts but they are very rich and sweet so I rarely make them.  They are also very time consuming.  I pinned this recipe for Microwave Kalakand from Sadaf's Culinary Adventures awhile ago but never got around to making it.  The thought of making an Indian dessert in 20 minutes sounded so appealing.  I remember the last time I made Gajar ka Mitha (Carrot Halwa) it took forever!  So I gathered the ingredients for the Kalakand (there are only 4 of them and that includes the garnish!).  It took about 20 minutes to make and then you leave it to set in the fridge.

Anyone that knows my mom knows she is an expert when it comes to making Indian desserts so I was interested in what she would think.  I first gave her a small piece and she really liked it!  Now if it gets her approval then I know the recipe is a winner!  My Kalakand turned a little brown which I think may have been due to the condensed milk.  It also was thinner than what I've bought in the past.  If you would like it thicker just use a smaller dish.

Microwave Kalakand (Indian Milk Fudge)
Adapated from Sadaf's Culinary Adventures

1 tin condensed milk (I used low fat)
ricotta cheese measured using the empty tin from the condensed milk
1-2 cardamon pods (shelled and ground to a powder)
pistachios for garnish

Grease a square dish and put aside.  Set aside.  I used a glass 8x8 dish and the Kalakand came out thin.  If you would like a thicker Kalakand use a smaller dish.

In a large microwavable bowl combine the condensed milk, ricotta cheese and ground cardamon.

Microwave for 5 minutes.  Keep an eye on it so it does not boil over.  Mix well breaking up any lumps.  Microwave for approximately another 15 minutes, stopping every 2-3 minutes to mix and break any lumps.  Kalakand is done when it is grainy, most of the liquid has evaporated and it pulls away from the side of the bowl.  Transfer to the prepared dish, spread and press down.  Sprinkle with pistachios.  Allow to come to room temperature and then refrigerate for a couple of hours.  Cut into squares before serving.

Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. luks so tempting and easy to make!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats a very quick and tempting kalkand .....I love the blue background you gave to the click....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was excited to see this after you posted about this on Facebook! Kalakand is one of my favorite Desi mithais, and it's awesome that instead of standing over the stove for hours, you can get this done in 20 minutes in the microwave!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}